Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Week One: Grocery Lists

You know how gravity is always a sure thing? You know that every time you drop something, it will fall down. Because gravity. 


Know what else is always a sure thing? A toddler being the most squirming, climbing, tantruming version of themselves when you have to grocery shop. 

For us, this rarely happens when we are just grabbing a few things. Only when we *have* to get a bunch of stuff. Because of course. Because toddler. 

We try to please the toddler gods with offerings of snacks and stickers and kindles, but sometimes that doesn't work either. However. All our hope is not lost. We have learned that a helping O is a happy O. And while we don't want his help with all the shopping {crushed bread and bruised bananas, anyone?} he has really started to love being in charge of the list. 

When O goes to the grocery store {usually Super Target} he is a totally different kid if he has the list in his hand. He is focused and helpful. *Actually* helpful. 




So, I've decided he should have his very own toddler list to help him keep track of what to buy. After some pinteresting and googling, I learned that such a thing already exists. Thanks, Internet! However, I'm not going to pay $10 for an instant download of some produce photos from Etsy. 

No, instead I'll just make my own! I was super jazzed about making my own because I like to get crafty and it has been ages since I have been able to. Plus, I'd be able to customize the list! Two for normal grocery shopping, plus one for Costco. 

Here's what I did:

1. Used the magic of a Google Image search to find pictures I could copy and paste.

2. Pasted all the pictures into a Publisher document and arranged them until they looked at least $10 worth of cute. ;)


3. Printed and laminated the lists. I love how these laminating pouches worked! So quick and easy, plus nice and thick/sturdy. 


4. Hole punched, connected with a ring, and attached a washable dry erase marker {ok ok, so I'm still trying to figure out how to attach the marker in a cute way. But I *did* find the washable markers, which were a must.} 





It was such a big hit! O was so happy to help out and enjoyed scribbling things off when we put them in the cart and yelling the list to me as if I was on the other side of the store. {Toddlers, man.} I really liked that I was able to add things that we typically buy rather than a template from Etsy that is more generic. 




What keeps your kids busy at the grocery store? Tell me all the secrets! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment